Monday, August 8, 2011

I have a problem... stacks of a problem

I sat at my desk tonight surrounded by stacks of Baseball cards that are in wait to be placed on EBay and on one step closer to their new home. The allure of selling my cards on EBay is great. Its a valuable resource for me to be able to make a little bit of money off of cards that I may not necessarily be interested in keeping because they are not a player that I collect or I just don't like the card itself. The problem that I run into... I love the ALLLLLLLL. just like Goldmember in Austin Powers says 'I LOVE gooOOLLLLDD' I say, "I love CARDDDDDS". Even the Luis Castillo cards I have acquired thanks to Jon thinking its hilarious. I feel like I need to explain myself to each card that leaves my possession after an EBay sale. 'I am truly sorry Adrian Gonzalez game used jersey card. I really don't want to let you go to Mr. Giggly McGiggleton but if I sell you I may be able get a player that I collect... I know, I know you might win the MVP this year and the value may go up, but now is the time to sell.' These conversations dont actually happen out loud... most of the time... but I grow attached to to each card that I pull out of a pack.
This is my problem. Pictured below is my desk that once had space for me to complete assignments for classes and do my writing. It is now my 'EBay/progress station'. dont let the phone in the picture fool you, I rarely answer when I am sorting or working with my cards. 
This hobby of mine has done a great job of keeping me occupied through boring times and keeps my mind sharp and constantly on the lookout for hte next great acquisition. The realization tonight however is it is time to cut the fat of my collection. I really dont care about the cards of a prospect from the single A affiliate of the Arizona Diamond backs who I will never see in 'The Show'. I will still always be a collector but maybe just not of ALL cards that have a baseball player on it, maybe just focus my energy to my favorite players and cards that are ultimately unique. Though it will be tough to part with the Luis Castillo game used cards and Paul Molitor cards of my collection I will be so much happier with the better/new stuff I can acquire.
Is it weird that while there are actual troubles in the world like Stock Market crashes, and wars on foreign soil that I am troubled by the thousands of pieces of cardboard in my collection???
eh, oh well if it isn't. well lets end this one on a good note! Its time for everyones FAVORITE section of my blog. its time forrrrr...
GEMS OF THE DAY!!!
Oh my goodness!!! check out the current Detroit Tigers 1st base coach Tommy Brookens in the card on the left. Tommy! what is that on your lip? he looks like someone you might see on one of those lawyer commercials, 'I called Sam. and my settlement from the trucker who ran over my iguana was 1 million dollars' all said with a southern drawl.
Mike Loynd is just happy to be here between two AMAZING cards.
Jerry Reuss... I didn't realize Shady Acres Retirement Complex had a professional team.
With cards like these you might understand a little better now why I love ALL cards. these are classic keepers are they not? well thanks for checking out my latest installment and check back again a little later for another, and as always...
Peace and Baseball Cards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment